Being the third-largest city in the U.S. says enough about Chicago and how intimidating it can be. However, the Windy City is very friendly, welcoming diversity and taking pride in being a “melting pot of arts and culture”.
We decided to embark on an effort to make it even friendlier for you, whether you are a local or you’re just visiting Chicago. So, we’ve put together a list of apps that will make your life as a Chicagoan much more convenient.
Public transit can become a source of headaches, especially if you are new to a city. An app like Roadify will help you keep track of buses, trains, subways, and even bikes. With maps and directions to get to the stations, as well as schedules and real-time updates on delays, route changes, and planned work, you will be able to navigate the public transit system of Chicago like a native.
- Find out real-time arrival countdowns and schedules
- See maps with step-by-step directions
- Learn about service advisories in real-time
- Get updates from other riders with on-the-spot information
You don’t have to do everything on your own. If you need help getting stuff around, Dolly will help you find moving and delivery help, for furniture delivery, apartment and large item moving, and retail store delivery. They will also help with office moving, junk pick-up, delivery by truck, and other heavy lifting.
- Enter details such as when, where, and what you need help with
- Find out a final price before completing the deal
- Track your team and communicate with them in real-time
- Choose from over 5,000 helpers
No matter the situation, a taxi can come in handy, especially in a big city. Curb connects you with taxis from wherever you need. Contact nearby, licensed drivers, pay in the app or with cash, and receive an e-receipt at the end of the ride. You have the option to book instantly or to schedule a ride for later.
- Request a wheelchair accessible vehicle
- Pay by credit card, Paypal, or cash
- Receive an e-receipt
- Earn free rides through personal referral codes
If you have your own vehicle, parking can be a nightmare that adds 20 minutes to an already busy commute. Save yourself some time with ParkWhiz and find the right spot. Compare prices and book in advance, get a pass on your phone, and park effortlessly. If you reserve a spot in advance, you not only save time, but money as well.
- Find parking near you or at a specific destination
- Compare prices and save money
- Book a spot
- Pay with your phone
Looking for a place to eat? There are so many delicious options that the decision process itself can take a very long time. There’s no need to browse online for websites of different restaurants, simply download Open Table and choose from a variety of restaurants. Browse by the type of food or restaurant you want, check their reviews, menus, and prices, and see photos of the place. The app also tells you the dress code of the restaurant, the payment options available, as well as what public transit rides you can take to get there.
- Browse through countless restaurants and customize your profile to get recommendations for your taste
- Add reservations to your phone calendar and check-in from your phone
- Check many details, from the hours of operation to cuisine type, payment and entertainment options, and more
- Leave reviews with photos and describe your experience, earning points and rewards
For the adventurers out there, Outdoorsy is the app that lets you easily rent RVs for your next trip. You can choose from multiple options and even have RVs delivered to your home, to the airport, or to a destination of your choice, be it festivals, a campground, or an event. Filter by price, vehicle type, amenities, rules, rating, and more, to find the best fit for you. You can also use this app to list your RV and make money by renting it.
- Insurance covering both renter and owner
- DMV check on all drivers
- 24/7 RV roadside assistance
- Separate renter and owner apps
When your lifestyle is as restless as the city you live in, even shopping for groceries seems to take up too much of your time. Instacart is the app that brings groceries to your door, without the annoyance of queues and passing by the same stand three times before seeing the product you need. Browse through your favorite local stores and select the products you need. You can select coupons for discounts as well. Choose the delivery time that works best for you, and connect with the person who shops for you to clarify every detail.
- Browse through the local stores you regularly visit
- Same day delivery, at the time you choose
- Follow your delivery progress in real-time
- Connect with your shopper in-app
Discover new and exciting meals through Chowbus, an app that offers food and groceries delivery, pre-order options for dining in, pick up at the restaurants, and even shuttle services. The main focus of Chowbus is Asian cuisine of high quality, so it’s the perfect place to start exploring and expanding on your culinary experiences.
- Unlimited free delivery for the first month
- Restaurant and grocery store delivery
- Dish-centric and restaurant bundling
- Real-time customer service and driver tracking
Living in Chicago comes with a lot of perks, not the least of which is the street food. Roaming Hunger is an app that connects you to Chicago’s food trucks, for whatever event you may need. Browse through a lot of different options, from ice cream and cupcake trucks to Mexican and Spanish food trucks. You can check out their menus, reviews, and upcoming locations, and you can book them for various events, from weddings to corporate catering.
- Find the closest food trucks for a quick snack
- Book food trucks for your events
- Get directions and details for the trucks
- Connect with Facebook for easy access
Communication is key to a smoothly-working city. Chicago Works is an app that lets you submit service requests, reporting potholes or other inconveniences. You can follow the process of solving the issue, as well as other frequently submitted requests.
- Make service requests to 311
- Add photos to your submission for faster communication
- Track issues as they are addressed
- See the most frequently submitted service requests
If you have a busy lifestyle or you simply want the guarantee of a job well done, Handy connects you with cleaners, handymen, plumbers, and more. From home cleaning and even remodeling to lawn care, tree trimming, and furniture assembly, you can find help from experienced, background-checked professionals.
- Browse and find the right fit for your need
- Book a service online for as early as the next day
- Professionals are insured and verified
- Communicate and track the team, and rate and tip from your phone
For the parents among Chicagoans, Urbansitter is the app that connects you with background-checked, CPR-trained nannies, to best fit your needs. The app allows you to chat with and interview the nannies, and you can browse for Spanish-speaking nannies, nannies with a vehicle, or with experience with infants and multiple kids.
- Nannies’ profiles include qualifications, videos, and parent reviews
- Apply filters as you need: childcare experience, pay rate, response time, and more
- Schedule interviews, jobs, and even pay online
- Safe and transparent for both nannies and parents
Doctor on Demand
Health is a very important issue and, in such a busy city like Chicago, hospital queues can go on forever. With Doctor on Demand, you can talk to one of the available doctors at any time, for different ailments or health situation, either physical or psychological. The professionals are licensed and board-certified, covering a wide variety of specializations. Physicians are on call 24/7, and you can connect with them face-to-face right from your phone.
- Choose the right type of consultation for your needs
- Book a medical visit or see a doctor right away
- Add your health insurance details to cut down the final cost
- Send your prescriptions electronically to a pharmacy of your choice
Be in the know with this news app from NBC, covering both local and national news. The weather section offers daily and 10-day forecasts, alerts, as well as a live radar. You can follow live shows and streaming content, as well as read investigative stories and interesting articles.
- Personalized news alerts
- Live radar and regional forecasts
- Access to the NBC 5 Responds feature
- Live TV and investigative journalism
Did we miss any amazing resources? Let us know at email@example.com and we’ll check them out!