We live in the age of instant information, where the smartphone is an extension of the self. Each day, more and more apps are developed to simplify our lives and information about everything we need to get by lies just a few taps away.
Whether you’re a born and raised Phoenician, you’ve just moved to Phoenix, or you’re simply traveling to the Valley of the Sun, there are many local apps that will make your stay more convenient and comfortable. Here’s a roundup of the most useful ones we could find.
ADOT Mobile/Alerts App
This free app works together with the Arizona Department of Transportation to provide real-time information on road conditions throughout the state. Users can input favorite routes and receive alerts concerning their most common routes, while the Alerts app sends signals whenever there is a major, unplanned occurrence on the roads. The app is a must-have for every driver and traveler.
- Traffic cameras
- Real-time updates on highway incidents and delays
- Personalized routes
- Travel times
Totalride is an app that connects passengers with drivers, offering ridesharing options such as Ride, Ride Van, and Ride Assist, to best fit the needs of the passengers. The service operates in the Phoenix metro area and Tucson.
- Book a ride
- Get a quick fare estimate
- Choose the vehicle option that fits your needs
- Watch your vehicle on the map
GRID Bike (Social Bicycles)
Bike-sharing programs are an amenity many cities offer, and with apps like Social Bicycles, they become easier to access and more convenient. The app powers the GRID Bike Share program in Phoenix, and using it will allow you to find, reserve, and pay for bikes on your phone.
- Find bicycles using a map
- Create an account and pay through the app
- Reserve bicycles wirelessly
- Manage your account
Transit Tracker – Phoenix
Public transportation can be intimidating if you are new to a city, or if you don’t use it regularly. A transit tracker app solves the issue of not knowing how to get to a station or finding an alternate route if your usual one is unavailable. Transit Tracker Phoenix makes it easy to find the best route, by bus or the Valley Metro Rail, providing maps and schedules, as well as a trip planner.
- Trip planner
- Real-time data provided by VM Transit
- Weekly updates
- Fully searchable database with bus and rail stops
Migo is designed to help you compare prices and transit times across different travel options, such as public transportation, cabs and taxis, or car, bike, and scooter-sharing options. You enter a destination and find the available rides near you, and then decide which one is best suited for your situation.
- The Phoenix area is served by 6 carshare, 2 taxi, 6 rideshare, bikeshare, or 7 black car/limo companies
- No additional fees
- Unlock bikes and scooters, or book a ride straight from the app
- Compare prices and travel times
The Phoenix airport shuttle serving PHX and AZA, SuperShuttle, offers the opportunity to book a shared ride, black car, or SUV, to help you in your travels. This is especially helpful for those visiting Phoenix, or for those coming back home who want a quick and troublefree ride out of the airport.
- Book your ride in advance
- Pay for your ride in the app
- Check into your ride as soon as your flight lands
- Track your ride on the map in real-time
If you have your own car, there are some apps out there to help you out as well. The city of Phoenix offers a pay-by-phone option for parking meters, and ParkMobile is the app to use. You can reserve a parking spot and pay from your phone, extend the parking time remotely, and find areas where parking spots are available.
- “Find your car” feature
- Multiple payment methods
- Turn-by-turn directions to the parking garage
Pogo Pass is a 12-month membership that offers you access to different venues across Phoenix, for $49.98. Using the app, you can access your pass both online and offline, login, and scan the pass at the venue. The service includes visits to the Phoenix Zoo, Pangaea, the International Wildlife Museum, and much more.
- Offline access
- Refer a friend
- Log in and scan the pass on the phone
Phoenix New Times
Although primarily a news website, Phoenix New Times also offers valuable info on restaurants, music concerts, and more, to help you stay on top of the events taking place in Phoenix. Browse through the film and concert reviews, follow the editors’ picks for must-see events, or check the restaurant listings to find the best fit for your mood.
- Access to Phoenix New Times’ daily blogs for the latest news on Phoenix politics, music, food, and arts
- Hundreds of event and concert listings every day, with Editors’ Picks of the best things going on in Phoenix
- Restaurant listings, searchable by cuisine type and neighborhood, with reviews by Phoenix New Times’ writers
Libby gives you access to the Greater Phoenix Digital Library right on your phone. Download books and audiobooks, sample books, keep track of your records, loans, notes, and bookmarks, and explore a world of culture.
- Download books and audiobooks for offline reading
- Zoomable graphic novels and picture books with read-along audio
- Tag titles as read, loved, hated, wish list, schoolbook, and more
Grocery shopping can take up a lot of time, which you can spend doing something else. Shipt is a membership-based delivery service that brings groceries to your doorstep at a time of your choosing. It also partners with stores in your area so you can browse through their products and get what you need right from home.
- Schedule same-day delivery, pay, and even leave a tip
- Get access to Shipt Exclusive Savings
- Enjoy free delivery on orders over $35, as a member
ABC 15 Arizona in Phoenix
This app is great for keeping up to date with what’s going on in your area and beyond. It offers relevant content, including breaking news, alerts, and hourly and daily weather forecasts.
- Breaking news, alerts, and stories
- Live streaming video
- Fast and easy to use
- Weather forecasts from your trusted local weather team
Powered by the local radio station, this app offers news and stories, shows, and entertainment. You can listen to live streams or podcasts, connect with the community, and even get in touch with the station.
- Schedule and programs
- The latest news from Phoenix
- Customizable alarms, to wake up with KJZZ
- Original productions
FOX Weather – Radar & Alerts
Be prepared for any kind of weather with this app, which offers both hourly and 7-day forecasts, as well as a radar overview of the area. With integrated GPS, this app promises accurate information based on location, as well as alerts in case of unruly conditions.
- Hourly and daily forecasts
- Live streaming newscasts
- Location-based alerts from the National Weather Service
- Interactive radar map, featuring high-resolution satellite imagery
If you are a student at the University of Arizona, this app can act as a guide and all-around helper. It provides information on campus life, maps, navigation and transportation, class-related info such as schedules and email directories, as well as food, shopping, entertainment, and more. Stay on top of campus events by reading the news and log in to your CatMail directly on the app.
- Maps and CatTran shuttle routes and times
- Schedule of classes, UAccess student, email, and directories
- Athletics news and scores
- Daily Wildcat
Do you know any other apps that would make a great resource? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll check them out!