Roommate appreciation day
Have a roommate that rocks? Explore a few simple and fun ways to say thanks.
You know you owe your roommate a lot. She’s taken the dog out for you when your shift ran late; he stood beside you with a can of roach spray in hand when your crazy ex showed up for the ninth time that weekend; and she loaned you cash to pay your cell phone bill when you ran over your minutes. Through thick and thin, your roommate has had your back.
And now it’s time to say thank you.
Strapped for cash? Try these inexpensive yet sincere and heartfelt acts of appreciation:
- Create the Happy [fill in the blank-day] Box. Pick a random day of the week and surprise your roommate with a box of his favorite edible stuff. Stock it with a few bottled drinks, his favorite snacks, and anything else he could chomp down on while watching TV or studying.
- Make her favorite dinner. If you’ve got culinary skills (or you’re literate and can follow a recipe) then a homemade dinner is a much welcomed signed of appreciation. Plan the meal so it’s ready to go when her favorite show comes and she can knock out two necessities at once.
- Rent a game that your roommate has been wanting to play. Rentals are less expensive the trying to buy the game and it still gives the two of your something to enjoy together.
If you really, really owe your roommate big time, try the following:
- Concert tickets are an ideal way to say “I love you” in a completely platonic, roommate friendly sort of way. Rocking out to music together is an excellent way to celebrate your friendship.
- Plan a spa day with your roomie that will reward her for saving your tail when you needed her. Complete the package with a manicure, pedicure, and a massage or facial.
- Create a “hop” night where the two of you bar hop, gallery hop, or tapas hop your way through town.