10 questions you haven’t thought to ask during an apartment tour
Looking for a new apartment is all fun and games until it’s time to get down to the real business of getting your questions answered. But to get those questions answered, you first need to make sure you are asking the right things.
Here are a few expertly-sourced questions that will help you get all the insight you need – and maybe even more than you want - into whether or not this community should become your next home sweet home.
Whether the answers to these questions meet with your satisfaction is purely a matter of personal preference. If you don’t get the responses you are looking for, take your question list and head on to the next viewing appointment! Or, find some additional listings to check out using the RENTCafe apartment finder.
- Has anyone died here?
- Is there an onsite maintenance person?
- What amenities come with this new apartment?
- What security features are in place?
- What’s your Yelp/apartment rating?
- Is the apartment rent-controlled? (If you aren’t familiar with the city’s rent control policies, request a copy from the Rent Control Board.)
- What fees should I expect if I decide to sign a lease?
- If I’m flexible on the lease terms can I get a lower rent?
- What is the parking like?
- What is the neighborhood like? What is the WalkScore for this part of the city?
Got any personal questions that you’d add to this list? What are they?