5 steps to create your perfect home office
To all the working ladies out there: mothers, writers, students, designers and everybody in between, how do you keep your workspace at home welcoming and inspiring to make you get the job done? What essential steps did you take to create the work or study space? Here are a few suggestions from us:
1. Avoid distraction: Choose the perfect spot in your apartment, taking in consideration the noise level and avoiding the areas where, at the busiest hour, the atmosphere is close to chaos. Whatever you do, stay away from working on your bed, couch, or close to the TV. The first ones will make you sleepy while the last one will only create frustration by prolonging the time allocated for your tasks.
2. Choose the right desk. Go hand-me-down or flea market on this one for unique flavor and some savings. If you’re lucky enough to still have Grandma’s secretary in the attic, great! If not, the traditional desks earn extra stars for practicability: multiple drawers to keep your supplies close, and plenty of space for the computer without affecting the writing area. However, a classic table next to a wall covered with racks will do the trick, too.
Source: cravottastudios.com via Anca on Pinterest
3. Choose a good chair, one that you actually want to sit in. Hard-wood and metal ones are uncomfortable so opt for something cozier, like a swivel chair on wheels or a classical one. Find one with some good ergonomic settings to prevent unwanted work-related injuries. Remember, if it’s uncomfortable you’ll lose focus because of the discomfort or pain, if it’s too comfortable you’ll be too relaxed and sleepy.
4. Organize your work-materials to have them at arm’s length, it’s really distracting to have to leave your studies or your work to go look for something you need in another room of the apartment. Head to your local office supplies store and take advantage of the Back to School deals on display. Organizer trays, all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers, shredders, envelopes… these are essentials for a home office.
5. Add a personal touch to it, whether you place a corkboard or a pegboard for your notes, hang in front of you your favorite piece of art, or photos of loved ones, having these close will give you that feeling of peace that will keep you focused and productive.