10 Tips for moving day …and a few extras
Keep stress low and spirits high with these practical tips for the big day.
- Touch bases with all involved parties the day before. Finalize details with friends who will help you move, packers, movers, new leasing office representative, and anyone else you will rely on for moving day assistance.
- Charge cell phone and exchange contact information with packers, movers, and others who are important to that day (baby-sitter, dog sitter).
- Clean as much as you can before moving day so that there is little to do and few things to pack the day of.
- You should be solely responsible for transporting important documents and costly items. It’ll be easier on you and your movers if you are in control of those gems.
- Wake up early. You will need more time than you think.
- Remember the necessities and niceties: toilet paper, a few disposable cups and utensils, and other items that you will use on the day should not be packed. Have cash on hand for tips as well as a few snacks and beverages for your moving team, whether they are professionals or friends. A first aid kit is also a good idea for patching up moving day cuts, scrapes, and ouches.
- Leave medications and daily medical equipment/devices easily within reach.
- Verify safe parking, loading/unloading locations for the truck. Also map out the best transport routes for moving large items before the movers arrive.
- Label all boxes by the room that they will be placed in. Then, label the rooms in the new location so that movers know where to put the boxes and furniture, keeping you from needed to move them later.
- Do a final walkthrough of your old place to make sure that everything is in tip-top shape, especially if a security deposit rests in the balance.
- Consider printing out the floor plan of the new space and drawing a diagram of the furniture over it, so movers know where to place large items.
- Keep track of moving day inventory. Note any missing items immediately and report them to your insurance company.
- If you will not be unloading everything on moving day, pack sleeping gear, toiletries, and anything that you will need for the next morning within easy access.
- REMEMBER PATIENCE. No one likes moving day but you attitude will determine the way that everyone else reacts to this day. Remain positive, kind, understanding and patient.
Burger Tap is coming to Highland and they’re celebrating with two days of specials to welcome themselves to the neighborhood.
The music line-up for this weekend is a little on the thin side, but there are a few good shows
There are practical ways to celebrate Human Rights Days that can truly make a difference in the lives of others.